Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Teaching Troubles

"Write 'sat' while I'm gone."

"But we don't know how!"

They sound worried. Too bad. They should know how to write way more than that by now anyway.


5 minutes later when I get back - "have you finished writing yet?" They show me what they've done.

"But that's not what I told you to write!"

They've copied off "the", "and", "at" & "to" from a piece of paper.

"But we don't know what you told us to write!"


Argh. I did tell them what to write didn't I? I'm sure I made it clear.


"Write Sat!"

Leah: "zat!"

Not wanting to give away how it's spelt, I repeat carefully: "sssssat"

Leah: "zzzzat"

Whatever.

After a bit I look over to see if she's done. She has, and correctly too! Curious to see how she pronounces it, "So what does it say?"

Leah: "z-a-t"

Me: "s-a-t"

Leah: "z-a-t"

Me, "no, S-a-t"

Leah: "That's what I said!

*sigh* Must. have. patience. It's going to be a long morning.


I was right.
Tears over maths. How hard can 3+4 be?! You can even count it on your fingers!
I'm not cut out to be a teacher. How are the poor kids I hope to have one day going to cope being homeschooled? I have no idea.




-Rachel





No comments: